Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu

Consortium Agreement with CWI or CSI

photo of students handing out on student union patio

A consortium agreement is an arrangement between two colleges that considers your enrollment at both institutions for financial aid purposes.

Combine Credits for Aid Purposes

If you are taking classes at more than one of the Idaho colleges in the consortium, your credits can be combined for financial aid purposes. Boise State, College of Western Idaho and the College of Southern Idaho all participate in the consortium agreement. With an approved consortium agreement, you can maximize your financial aid eligibility.

In order to combine credits, you need to submit a completed CWI/CSI/Boise State Consortium Agreement form for approval each semester.

Home Institution: The institution where you are currently seeking a degree and where you will receive federal financial aid.

Host Institution: The institution(s) where you are taking courses which apply to your degree at your home institution.

Example: You are taking 9 credits at Boise State (home institution) and 3 credits at College of Western Idaho (host institution). With an approved consortium agreement, you will be considered full-time (12 credits) and be eligible for full-time aid at Boise State.

Eligibility Criteria

You’ll find comprehensive eligibility information in the Consortium Agreement Form.  Under the “Student Certification” section, you confirm you meet the following criteria for the agreement:

  • You must complete the financial aid application process at your home institution. All requested documentation and other information requested must be submitted before the agreement may be approved
  • You allow the indicated institutions to share information regarding registration, transcripts, and financial aid.
  • You must be enrolled in at least 3 credits at the home institution to be eligible.
  • Courses you take at the host institution must apply toward your stated degree at your home institution.
  • You are bound by the financial aid deadlines and census date at your home institution.
  • You must be pursuing a degree up to and including a first bachelor’s degree. Coursework for a degree beyond the first bachelor’s degree is ineligible for approval.
  • Remedial credits taken at the host institution are excluded from approval.
  • You agree to inform the financial aid office at your home institution immediately if you have any changes to enrollment at the host institution. Enrollment changes can impact your eligibility for aid and you may need to pay back previously disbursed funds.
  • You may only receive federal financial aid from the home institution.
  • You are required to notify the home institution of any other sources of financial assistance (scholarships, tuition waivers, etc) you receive from the host institution.
  • You cannot be on Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) warning, probation, or an academic plan. The home school SAP standards will be used to determine your initial and continued financial aid eligibility.


I am a full-time undergraduate at Boise State (my home institution) and taking 3 credits at College of Western Idaho. Should I submit a Consortium Agreement form?

Since you are already considered full-time at Boise State, requesting consideration for 3 additional credits will not impact your financial aid. If you are full-time at your home institution, you already receive the maximum aid for which you are eligible.

I am a Boise State student and I want to take classes at another school besides CWI or CSI and receive aid at Boise State. Can I consider those credits for financial aid purposes?

No. Boise State University serves at the  home institution and considers only CWI and CSI credits.

I am a student from another university (besides CWI/CSI) and want Boise State to serve as my host institution. Is that possible?

It depends. Check with your home institution regarding their processes and eligibility criteria. In some cases, Boise State will serve as the host institution. However, it is up to the school awarding aid to determine if they will approve an agreement with Boise State as host.

What do I need to do after I complete my classes?

To maintain future financial aid eligibility, send your official transcript from the host institution to your home institution after your classes are completed. You will see a To Do item on your Student Center if this is required at Boise State. Please notify our office if you have submitted the transcript but the To Do item remains.

When should I submit my Consortium Agreement? How long does it take to process?

You should enroll in classes at both your home and host schools before you submit the Consortium Agreement Form. Submit your form as soon as possible prior to the start of the semester. Processing and approval between both institutions could take 4-5 weeks during peak periods.  Deadlines for submission are on the form.

Will my financial aid pay my classes at my host institution?

With an approved agreement, your financial aid will disburse (release) and pay fees first at your home institution. If there are funds left over, you will receive a refund that you can use to pay your host institution directly. Be aware of dates and deadlines for disbursement and payment at both institutions. You are responsible for any late fees incurred.