If you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval process, you can obtain an IRS Tax Return Transcript, which is a summary of your tax return as filed.
Transcripts are available to request online and provided two ways:
- Online– Tax Return Transcript available to print or download.
- This option contains multiple security steps. You must register with the IRS to use this service. The registration process takes approximately 15 minutes. You will be asked to provide sensitive personal information (credit card or bank account number) as well as to verify through a mobile phone text and email confirmation.
- By Mail – Tax Return Transcript sent to the mailing address from your latest tax return, typically in 5-10 days.
- You are not required to register with the IRS system, though you will enter your SSN, date of birth, and address to match your tax return.
While this is the quickest method to obtain your Tax Return Transcript, security verification is more rigorous. You must have a bank account, credit card, etc. to verify as well as a cell phone account in your name.
- Visit the IRS Get Transcript website at https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript
- Select “Get Transcript Online”
- Follow the on-screen instructions to verify personal information, email, financial accounts/credit card number and mobile phone number
- Proceed to request “Tax Return Transcript” for proper tax year*
- Download and save or print to fax/email to the Financial Aid Office
- Visit the IRS Get Transcript website
- If requesting by mail, select “Get Transcript by Mail”
- Follow the on-screen instructions to enter name, date of birth, and Social Security Number
- Enter your address used for your tax return. Please note the IRS uses the United States Postal Service (USPS) version of your address.
- You may need to exclude punctuation (no period after abbreviations, no #) in your address
- You may need to abbreviate (Apt rather than Apartment or St rather than Street)
- For joint returns, use the primary tax filer’s SSN, date of birth, address and zip code
- When your address is verified, select the tax year* and Tax Return Transcript to request
If you experience issues with the online Tax Return Transcript request, you may try the automated phone transcript service at 1-800-908-9946 to receive the transcript via mail. Please allow 5-10 days for delivery.
If you experience further issues, you can request an appointment with the IRS in-person by calling 1-844-545-5640 to schedule in Boise or look up your location on the IRS website.
* The tax year used for a FAFSA is usually the calendar year prior to the start of the academic year. See the examples below:
- 2015 is the tax year for the 2017-2018 academic year (fall 2017, spring 2018, summer 2018)
- 2015 is the tax year for the 2016-2017 academic year (fall 2016, spring 2017, summer 2017)
- 2015 income is used for two years in a row due to FAFSA changes to a “prior-prior year format”
If you are a recent victim of identity theft, you will likely experience difficulty using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool or requesting a Tax Return Transcript. Special instructions are available for you.