Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu


Photo of science students in lab

Grants are need-based financial aid that do not need to be repaid if you meet all of the conditions of the award. They are often called “gift aid.”

Pell Grants

The most common of the federal grants, the Pell Grant is an entitlement grant based on financial need. The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is the end result of completing the FAFSA and is used as an index to determine your eligibility for the Pell Grant. Only students who have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree may be awarded a Pell Grant.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOG is a federal grant available to a limited number of first-time undergraduate degree-seeking students who demonstrate exceptional financial need. You’ll apply for this grant through the FAFSA. To be eligible for an FSEOG award, you must also be awarded a Pell Grant. Funding is limited, so submit your FAFSA by Boise State’s priority date have a greater chance of receiving the award.